Canadian Passport: Name Changes

Canadian Passport - Name Changes

When you legally change your name

When you legally change your name, all documentation, including your passport, should be issued under the same name. If you have changed your name on other identification documents, your passport must be in this same name. For any name change, you must apply for a new passport.

Let’s say, you’ve got married and changed your name. Being excited, you’ve made arrangements for your honeymoon trip with your new name, but your passport has your former name. If the name on the passport doesn’t match your bookings, you could have problems (even if you carry your marriage certificate with you) such as countries not letting you in or travel companies not letting you board.

Don’t forget to change your passport and be sure that you make all of your travel bookings, such as tickets and hotels, in the name that appears on your new passport.

Submit a complete adult general passport application

You cannot use the passport renewal process for a name change.

You have to submit the following documents:

  • the application form completed in full;
  • proof of Canadian citizenship;
  • supporting identification in your new name;
  • two photos, one of which is signed by the guarantor;
  • the required fees; and
  • any valid Canadian travel document, if applicable.


  • For a married surname change, you may be asked to provide your marriage certificate (original or copy).
  • For a common-law name change, include a signed letter stating that you are in a common-law relationship and that the co-habitation has been ongoing for more than one year.
  • For any other legal name change, include one of the following:
    • a legal change of name document;
    • an adoption order; or
    • a birth certificate or citizenship certificate issued in the new name.

Place of birth

Your place of birth must be provided on the application form. You may request that your place of birth does not appear in the passport. However, if you chose to do so, note that:

  • Place of birth is mandatory for entry to some countries. You should contact the consulate or embassy of every country you plan to visit to ensure that you will be allowed entry if your passport does not indicate your place of birth.
  • You may have difficulty obtaining a visa.
  • You may experience delays at border crossings.

It is your responsibility to verify requirements before travelling.

If you do not want your place of birth to appear in the passport, you must complete and submit with your application a “Request for a Canadian passport without place of birth” (PPTC 077, PDF, 350 KB).


Your signature must not exceed the inner limits of the signature box on page 1 (Declaration of Applicant) and must appear on all three pages.

Caution to travellers about changing your name on a passport

Be careful if you’re applying for a passport to use after you are married, perhaps for your honeymoon, showing your married name. It is important that the name on your passport match the name in which you have booked all of your travel. If the name on the passport doesn’t match the bookings:

  • some countries may not let you in; and
  • some travel companies may not let you board.

This may be the case even if you carry your marriage or civil partnership certificate with you. Always check with the consulate of the country you plan to visit or your travel agent.

Language of documents

All documents submitted as part of a travel document application in a language other than English or French must be translated by a certified translator.

If you changed your name and need a new passport, please visit the Canadian Passport website


(Visited 8,345 times, 1 visits today)