How to Detect Poisonous Mold in Your House

How to Detect Poisonous Mold in Your House
Allontario ads

As it has been a part of the Earth for millions of years, there is always some mold everywhere. However, mold can be especially dangerous to have lurking in your home. Those who breathe in the spores of this quick-growing fungus at put at risk for health issues.

What Is Mold?

Mold is a type of fungus typically found growing on food. It results in a discoloured appearance and grows as a black or green fuzzy spot, much like the mold on an old piece of bread. It may also smell musky.

Where Is Mold Lurking?

Mold grows on plants and food outdoors, but can enter your home through open doorways, windows, vents and heating and air-conditioning systems. It is also possible that mold in the air can attach itself to clothing and shoes outside and be carried back indoors.

In your humble abode it will form on the walls of your attic, basement, or bathroom. These places are breeding grounds for mold as moisture is trapped and doesn’t have anywhere to go. Basically, it grows in places that have excessive moisture. That is why mold especially loves to grow after problems with water damage.

You can find mold around leaks in roods, windows, pipes, or anywhere that has been flooded. Likewise, it grows well on paper based products such as wood, cardboard and ceiling titles. You can also find it in dust, paints, wallpaper, insulation, drywall, carpet, fabric and upholstery.

Mold and Your Health

Some people are especially sensitive to molds. For these, one can experience throat or skin irritation, or coughing or wheezing, amongst others. Those who have severe allergies to mold may have more severe reactions. People with chronic lung illnesses may receive serious lung infections upon exposure.

Mold exposure in the home is linked to respiratory tract symptoms, coughing and wheezing and other respiratory illness in otherwise healthy adults and children.

What to Do?

Inside your home, you can control mold growth by:

  • Fixing leaky roofs, windows and pipes
  • Cleaning well and drying after a flood
  • Ventilating bathroom, laundry and kitchen areas
  • Controlling humidity levels

To remove mold growing in your home by yourself, it is a must that you clean the mold and fix the moisture problem. It can be removed from surfaces with commercial products like soap and water or a bleach solution.  However, there is no foolproof way to prevent or remove mold without an expert.

Mold is a problem that should be tackled at the source. It is important that you are aware of mold and its warning signs and issues so you can protect you and your family. Contact a mold removal expert at the moment of spotting mold to get it removed so that it doesn’t come back.

This post is sponsored by ADNA Contracting who specializes in mold detection and removal in the Greater Toronto Area. Choose ADNA contracting to keep your home safe.



(Visited 135 times, 1 visits today)