Every year in late October, people get together to celebrate Halloween. Costumes, parties and trick or treating are all part of the fun; but as always, there are some things to watch out for. So, here are some helpful tips to ensure that you have a fun filled and safe Halloween.
When you decide to go out trick or treating
- Collect candy in a group. Don’t trick or treat alone.
- Bring a flashlight; some areas might not have any street lights.
- Use make up instead of wearing a mask; that way your sightline is not blocked. If you do go with a mask, cut the eye holes a little bit bigger.
- Make sure that your costume props cannot be used as weapons.
- Bring a cell phone in case of an emergency.
- Be careful around people you don’t know. While some people may really get into the Halloween spirit and want to scare everyone, others may have more worrisome intentions.
- Don’t eat any unpackaged candy.
- Don’t smash pumpkins and egg houses. While it may seem like harmless fun, this is vandalism that can lead to serious consequences.
- Don’t take any chances by getting into a car with someone you don’t know, even if you already met at the party.
If you decide to spend your evening at a Halloween party:
- Make sure to use the buddy system while at a party. Stay with at least one of your friends at all times, especially if don’t know many people.
- Be cautious of underage drinking, or any illegal drugs that may be circulating around the party.
- Make sure to never leave your drink unattended.
- Don’t accept a ride home from someone at the party, especially if you think they may have been drinking or doing drugs.
- Agree on a time and a place for you and your friends to meet in the event that you get separated so that you can all go home together.
- Call your parents or a trusted adult right away if you feel uncomfortable and want to be picked up.
Regardless of what you are doing, make sure you are dressed for the weather which is always unpredictable in late October. Halloween is a day when people can unwind and have a blast, dress up and be spooky; but always remember to be safe while enjoying the night.