The Ontario Government spends billions of dollars each year on goods, services and construction from 45,000 vendors, most of which are located in Ontario. Learn how to connect what you sell with what the Ontario Government buys. Find out about opportunities to do business with the Ontario Government and other public sector organizations.
Selling to the Ontario government means supplying a large marketplace. Businesses of all sizes and types can be successful vendors to the government.
The Supply Chain Management Division
The Supply Chain Management (SCM) Division will be your guide on doing business with the Ontario Government. The Supply Chain Management Division is a division of the Ministry of Government Services of Ontario. Their primary objective is to meet the government’s goal to manage public funds efficiently and effectively and to ensure value for money for the goods and services that are bought by the government.
The Supply Chain Management (SCM) Division develops and implements an integrated corporate procurement strategy to:
- leverage and optimize government procurement of goods and services;
- identify and implement procurement process improvements;
- enhance procurement controllership;
- provide strategic advice to Management Board of Cabinet on large scale procurements.
SCM Division is responsible for developing and advising on the government’s procurement policy framework, including the development of related guidelines, tools and best practices, providing strategic procurement advice to ministries and the Management Board of Cabinet, and providing procurement related training to both ministries and the vendor community.
In the SCM’s website you will find valuable information about every aspect of doing business with the Ontario Government including, but not limited to, the following:
Doing Business with the Ontario Government
- How to Do Business with the Ontario Government
- VOR Program – Three Year Outlook
- The Doing Business with the Ontario Government Task Force Final Report
- Supply Ontario
- How To Use MERX Electronic Tendering Service (PDF)
- MERX – Electronic Tendering Service
- Ontario Public Service Contractor Security Screening (PDF)
- OPS and BPS Client Definition
- Selling Software Products to the Ontario Government
- Apply to receive payments and notifications electronically
- Common Terms & Conditions in I&IT Agreements (PDF)
- Ontario Government Resources for Business
- MARCAN – MARketplace CANada
Buying policies of the Ontario government
- Procurement Principles
- Procurement Policies
Tips on How to Do Business with the Ontario government
- How are bids solicited?
- How do I respond to a Request for Proposal (RFP)?
- The rules
- Notification of procurement
- Advance Contract Award Notice
- What is the government buying?
- How are the bids ranked?
- Who wins the contract?
Here are some hints on writing effective proposals:
- Ask questions
- Organizing your proposal
- Mandatory requirements
- Technical section
- Management section
- Financial section
- Address each and every point
- Key points to remember
- Who evaluates my bid?
- What do contracts with the Ontario government include?
- How do I find out if my proposal was successful?
- How am I paid?
How to access bidding information
- Electronic Tendering Service – MERX
- Newspaper Advertising
Selling information technology to the Ontario government
- How is the technology used?
- What kinds of information technology do we buy?
- What is the procurement process for information technology?
- What about confidential data?
Selling consulting services to the Ontario government
- What is the buying process?
- Do you ever hire more than one consultant for any given project?
Vendor of Record (VOR) arrangement
- What is it?
- What are the types of VOR arrangements?
- How does my company become a VOR?
- Once I become a VOR, do I have to compete again for contract work?
Green Focus on Innovation and Technology (GreenFIT) Strategy
- What is the GreenFIT Strategy?
- How can I participate in the GreenFIT strategy?
How to market yourself to the Ontario government
How to Resolve Complaints
We wish you to win a tender! Good luck!