Ontario Government Provides Tips for a Smooth Move: Moving can be extremely stressful and costly. With September 1st – one of the busiest moving days of the year – approaching, choosing a reliable and reputable moving company can help ensure a headache- and scam-free experience.
Consumers can protect both their possessions and hard-earned money by asking the right questions, knowing their rights and following these important tips:
- Reputation matters – Get three references from each mover you consider for the job and check them thoroughly.
- Find the right price – Get written estimates from three different movers. Movers should inspect your furnishings in person to confirm the approximate volume or weight in order to provide a proper quote.
- Damage and loss – Find out who is responsible for lost or damaged items, whether the moving company is insured, and what their insurance covers (i.e. items you packed yourself).
- Get it in writing – Get a detailed written agreement with the mover, and read it carefully before signing. Understand what is included and what is not.
Protecting consumers is part of the government’s economic plan to invest in people, create jobs, build modern infrastructure and support a dynamic and innovative business climate.
- According to the Canadian Association of Movers, over 1.5 million Ontarians move every year.
- The province receives almost 300 inquiries and complaints about movers each year.
- Complaints include holding goods to ransom, lost/damaged items, allegations of overcharging and quality of service.
- If Ontarians have questions about moving, they can contact the province’s Consumer Protection Branch at 1-800-889-9768.