May 6, 2015 – Ministry of Labour – The new Occupational Health and Safety Prevention and Innovation Program aims to improve occupational health and safety outcomes in Ontario workplaces by funding initiatives that strongly align with the Ministry of Labour’s prevention priorities and Ontario’s Integrated Health and Safety Strategy.
The program targets funding to workplaces where there is a need to improve health and safety outcomes, such as those that employ vulnerable workers. The program launched in September 2014 with an open call for initiatives through three streams: prevention, culture and innovation.
The ministry received 85 applications for funding. Through a three-step review process, 12 successful applicants were selected to deliver innovative health and safety initiatives:
- Our Youth at Work Association: Safety Momentum for Vulnerable Workers — this program will connect students, educators, business leaders, and other members of the community through seminars and presentations to ensure that young workers understand the importance of occupational health and safety.
- Minerva Canada Safety Management Education Inc.: Influencing and Enhancing Health and Safety Education in Canadian Universities and Colleges — this project focuses on encouraging colleges and universities to incorporate health and safety education into their core curricula.
- Association for Workplace Tragedy Family Support: Threads of Life — this project focuses on providing support to families who are dealing with a life altering injury, occupational disease or workplace fatality.
- Nokiiwin Tribal Council: Nokiiwin Health and Safety Initiative — this program is focussed on providing training to vulnerable aboriginal workers and embedding occupational health and safety into First Nations culture.
- Bob Rumball Associations for the Deaf: Health and Safety Training Videos for Deaf Employees — this program will focus on providing more effective occupational health and safety training to deaf and hard of hearing workers by creating training videos using American Sign Language.
- Regent Park Focus Youth Media Arts: Youth at Work, a youth-led community TV and radio broadcast series — the goal of this project is to empower youth regarding occupational health and safety issues through a series of television and public service announcements that will be broadcasted widely.
- Thunder Bay Economic Development Commission / Public Services Health and Safety Association: Health and Safety for Small Businesses — the goal of this project is to build awareness and capacity among employers in the Thunder Bay and District area to help them understand the role they play in health and safety and assist them in building occupational health and safety programs.
- Radiation Safety Institute of Canada: Workplace Enquiries and Information Service and Awareness Series; Radiation Hazard in the Ontario Mining Industry — this program will strengthen the awareness of potential hazards presented by radiation in Ontario workplaces and in the mining sector.
- LiUNA Local 183 Training and Rehabilitation Fund: Tunnel Rescue Training — the aim of this project is to train tunnel construction workers to effectively rescue fellow workers in the event of an underground accident.
- Community Living Prince Edward: Musculoskeletal Disorder Injury Prevention Training for Developmental Service Workers — this proposal aims to address the hazard of lifting for aging, part-time and new employees.
- Career Education Council Guelph Wellington Dufferin: Awareness and Training Program — the aim of the proposal is to create awareness among youth, teachers, parents and families about the importance of occupational health and safety in the workplace through safety awareness training, a speaker’s bureau, workplace safety tours and an interactive and engaging ‘safety app’ for students to use on their phones.
- Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety: Inquiries Service — this project will operate an inquiry service that anyone across Ontario can use to ask questions receive information on occupational health and safety.