April 28, 2015 – Ministry of Economic Development, Employment and Infrastructure – Province Supporting the Next Generation of Business Leaders: Ontario is helping the next generation of entrepreneurs by providing access to training and mentoring to launch their ideas into businesses.
The province is partnering with Ontario Centres of Excellence (OCE) to provide customized training for social entrepreneurs to help grow their business. The Ontario Social Impact Vouchers pilot program will provide 125 vouchers worth up to $3,000 each to eligible social entrepreneurs across Ontario to get training specific to their needs.
In addition, through the Young Entrepreneurs, Make Your Pitch competition, the province is giving young entrepreneurs the chance to pitch their business ideas to experts and the public.
Competition winners were announced today at OCE Discovery in Toronto. Six successful high school students will receive $750 towards their postsecondary education from Desire2Learn and a reserved spot in Ontario’s Summer Company program, which provides mentoring and funding to help launch businesses.
Supporting youth entrepreneurship is part of the government’s economic plan for Ontario. The four-part plan is building Ontario up by investing in people’s talents and skills, building new public infrastructure like roads and transit, creating a dynamic, supportive environment where business thrives and building a secure savings plan so everyone can afford to retire.
- More than 300 students entered the Make Your Pitch competition by creating a short video that described their idea for a new business or innovation.
- The competition is part of Ontario’s recently expanded Youth Jobs Strategy.
- More than 27,000 job opportunities have been created under the strategy since it launched in the fall of 2013.
- Summer Company, which provides up to $3,000 in funding along with personal business mentoring, helped students launch 940 businesses in 2014.
- The Ontario Social Impact Vouchers pilot builds on Ontario’s Social Enterprise Strategy commitment to provide capacity-building support for social enterprises.
- Ontario recently launched its first Social Enterprise Progress Report.