Reinstate a suspended driver’s licence

Reinstate a suspended driver’s licence
Allontario ads

How to get a driver’s licence back after it has been suspended in Ontario.

Types of suspensions

You can lose your driver’s licence for many reasons — but every suspension is considered serious. Your licence could be suspended:

  • at the side of the road (a roadside suspension)
  • a court could order a suspension
  • if you receive a suspension letter from the Ministry of Transportation

A court will order a suspension if you are convicted of violating certain driving-related laws.
Your driver’s licence could be suspended if you:

  • have alcohol in your blood
  • fail or refuse to give a breath sample when asked by police
  • break the graduated licensing rules for new (‘novice’) drivers
  • fail to insure your vehicle
  • fail to stop for a police officer and court believes that you tried to escape police
  • accumulate too many demerit points on your driving record
  • fail to attend a demerit point interview on your driving record
  • the result of a demerit point interview is unsatisfactory
  • fail to pay claim/court judgement
  • fail to attend the remedial measures program
  • fail to file a vision report
  • do not pay court-ordered child or spousal support
  • do not pay a traffic fine when ordered by a court
  • have a medical condition that a doctor believes could affect your ability to drive safely
  • are convicted of certain driving-related offences (e.g., careless driving, driving 50 km or more over the speed limit)

What you need to reinstate

Before you can get a new licence, you will need to:

Step 1: pay any outstanding fines.

Step 2: complete any court processes/court-ordered programs needed to clear the suspension.

Step 3: gather any documents that state that the suspension has been lifted (e.g., a Notice of Suspension letter, a medical letter, an affidavit).

Once a suspension is lifted, you can renew your driver’s licence.

How to get a new licence

To get a new driver’s licence, visit:

  • a DriveTest centre
  • the ServiceOntario College Park location in downtown Toronto

Bring original identification that verifies your legal name, date of birth and your signature.


$180 reinstatement fee (does not apply if your licence was suspended for a medical reason)

Plus applicable fees for the written test and road tests, if you need to take them.


If your full class licence has been suspended for more than one year, you need to take certain tests.

1-3 years suspended: you need to take an eye test.

3-10 years suspended: you need to take:

  • a written knowledge test
  • an eye test
  • two road tests (G1 and G2)
    • you can book your first road test as soon as you pass your knowledge and eye tests
    • you can book your G2 road test, as soon as you pass your G1 road test

10+ years suspended: you need to re-apply as a new driver and re-take all required tests. You cannot fast-track and need to serve all mandatory waiting periods.

Reinstate a suspended driver’s licence: outside Ontario

If you are outside Ontario, you can submit your reinstatement fee payment by sending a signed letter indicating:

  • your driver’s licence number or name and date of birth
  • the reason for your request
  • an out-of-province mailing address
  • telephone number and/or e-mail address

The fee of $180, in the form of a cheque or money order, must be included and made payable to the “Minister of Finance/MTO” and drawn on a Canadian bank account.

If you wish to use VISA, MasterCard or American Express, we require a signed and dated letter of authorization that includes the following information:

  • name of card holder
  • card type (VISA, MasterCard or American Express)
  • card number
  • expiry date (month and year)
  • reason (i.e. driver’s licence replacement)
  • amount to be charged

Send the letter and payment to:

Ministry of Transportation

  • Licensing Administration and Support Office
  • Special Enquiry Unit
  • Building A, Room 178
  • 2680 Keele Street
  • Downsview ON M3M 3E6
  • Fax: 416-235-4414


Submit your request for your reinstatement fee online:

Updated: August 25, 2015


(Visited 7,175 times, 1 visits today)