If you hold an adult passport that is still valid or expired for less than one year, you may be eligible to use the simplified renewal process to obtain a new passport. If you are Canadian in Canada or the United States, you are eligible for simplified renewal if:

  • you were at least 16 years of age at the time of your previous application;
  • your name on the application form is exactly as it appears on page 2 of the submitted passport;
  • you submit a previous Canadian passport that:
    • was/is valid for 5 or 10 years;
    • is not damaged;
    • was never reported lost or stolen; and
    • is still valid or expired for no more than one year.

What to submit

You must include the following in your renewal request:

  • a completed Simplified Renewal Passport Application (PPTC 054, PDF, 441 KB);
  • your most recent passport (still valid or expired for no more than one year. This passport will be canceled at the time you submit your application and can no longer be used for travel.);
  • the required fee; and
  • two recent photos. The photos do not need to be signed by anyone, but on the back of one photo must appear:
    • the name and address of the photographer or studio, and
    • the date the photos were taken.

You do not have to resubmit proof of Canadian citizenship, supplementary identification or guarantor information.

How to apply

Canadians in Canada and the United States may apply:

  • In person at any Passport Canada service location in Canada.
  • By mail.

The processing times are the same for all types of applications.

Complete the Simplified Renewal Passport Application form (PPTC 054, PDF, 441 KB) for Canadians applying in Canada or from the USA.

(Visited 353 times, 1 visits today)