Sometimes you cannot prove in court that you did not commit a traffic violation, therefore you have to pay a fine for your mistake.
Traffic Tickets Paralegal in Toronto and the GTA
If you had a Representative, surely he or she would explain to you in detail the amount of the fine; but if you have decided to go solo it may become confusing if for instance the Justice of Peace imposed a fine of $60.00 on you and at the time to go to any Provincial Court to make the payment you end up paying a different amount.
When you take a closer look at your Traffic Ticket, you will see two amounts: one is the set fine and the other one is the total payable. Basically, every fine becomes a “three in one” fine, as explained below:
- Fine specified by the Court – $60.00
- Victim Fine Surcharge, Ontario Regulation 161/00 – $15.00
- Court Costs $5.00
What exactly is a Victim Fine Surcharge?
This charge is added to every fine imposed under the Provincial Offences Act and it is accredited to a special fund in order to assist victims of Crime, and is calculated according to the table detailed below:
|If the fine is between||pay the surcharge below|
|$ 0- $ 50||$ 10|
|$ 51- $ 75||$ 15|
|$ 76- $ 100||$ 20|
|$ 101- $ 150||$ 25|
|$ 151- $ 200||$ 35|
|$ 201- $ 250||$ 50|
|$ 251- $ 300||$ 60|
|$ 301- $ 350||$ 75|
|$ 351- $ 400||$ 85|
|$ 401- $ 450||$ 95|
|$ 450- $ 500||$ 110|
|$ 500- $ 1,000||$ 125|
|Over $ 1,000||25% of the actual fine|
As a friendly reminder: after receiving a Traffic Ticket you have 15 days and three options:
- Pay the fine (by paying the fine you plead guilty and a conviction record will appear in your driver’s records that can result in increasing your auto insurance upon renewal)
- Visit a court office to plead guilty but ask to lower the amount of fine or increase the period of time to pay the fine.
- Request a trial. This is the best option because there is always a chance to lower the fine or demerit points, or even dismiss the charge.
Don’t ignore your traffic ticket and don’t pay it immediately – fight it! If you need professional help please contact CP Paralegal Services