Main image source: Coco Rocha via Instagram
Famous Ontarians – Coco Rocha
Every life has a purpose. Every life has a story. AllOntario.ca shares the noteworthy, surprising and fascinating stories about Famous Ontarians, people who were either born or lived in Ontario, Canada, or have spent a large part of their career in the province, or have made a significant contribution to the glory of Ontario.
Here are the highlights of Coco Rocha’s biography.
Coco Rocha – Quick Facts
Full Name: Mikhaila Rocha
Famous as: Canadian fashion model, “The World’s First Digital Supermodel
Book Author: The Study of Pose (in collaboration with photographer Steven Sebring)
Date of Birth: September 10, 1988
Place of Birth: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Place of Residence: New York, USA
Background: Coco Rocha is of Irish and Ukrainian descent
Star Sign: Virgo
Spouse: James Conran (married in 2010)
Children: Daughter Ioni James Conran (born in 2015), son Iver Eames Conran (born in 2018)
More about Coco Rocha on Wikipedia
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cocorocha/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/cocorocha
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CocoRocha/
- Tumblr: https://oh-so-coco.tumblr.com/
COCO ROCHA Model 2020 – Fashion Channel
Strike a Pose like Coco Rocha!
Coco Rocha on balancing modeling and motherhood
Coco Rocha – Biography Highlights
Coco Rocha started her professional career at the age of 15, having been discovered at an Irish dance competition in Vancouver in 2002 by Charles Stuart. He approached Rocha and asked her if she would consider modeling for him. At that point, she had never thought of modeling before.
Initially, Rocha spent time modeling in Asia, where she would shoot up to 75 looks a day for two months.
Rise to fame
Two years later, Rocha met fashion photographer Steven Meisel, who cast her in an editorial with Gemma Ward and Amanda Moore. The editorial kickstarted her career and would land her the cover of the February 2006 issue of Vogue Italia. In February 2007, she hit star status after doing an Irish jig down the runway for Jean Paul Gaultier in Paris, an event so iconic it is referred to simply as the “Coco moment.”
Every inch the supermodel, Coco Rocha is best known for her theatrical poses. A book of over 2,000 pages, The Study of Pose was written by Coco Rocha in collaboration with photographer Steven Sebring who used brand new technology to capture Coco Rocha three dimensionally in 1,000 poses. No wonder that Rocha earned the nickname the “Queen of Pose”.
Coco Rocha has an extensive portfolio:
- She has appeared on the covers of fashion’s biggest publications, including American, Italian, Korean, French, Russian, Spanish, Brazilian, Japanese, Mexican, and British Vogue, British, Canadian, Czech, French, Quebec, and Italian Elle, French, Korean, and Japanese Numéro, British and Japanese Dazed & Confused, i-D, Time Style & Design, and Ukrainian, Russian, Korean, and American Harpers Bazaar.
- Vogue Italia, Vogue Thailand, Elle Korea and Spain, Elle Brazil and Harper’s Bazaar Singapore, and numerous American Vogue
- Rocha has been the face of numerous commercial campaigns including Longchamp, Zac Posen, Banana Republic , L’Oréal, Sass & Bide, Diesel, John Galliano, Miu Miu, Versace, Americana Manhasset, Balenciaga, Chanel, D&G, Dior, Dolce & Gabbana, Lanvin, The Gap, Ports 1961, Tommy Hilfiger, Yves Saint Laurent, Esprit, Liz Claiborne, Calvin Klein, Nicole Farhi, DeBeers, Rimmel, and Tatras Japan.
- In July 2010, Rocha appeared on the Vogue website daily for an entire month in a feature named “Today I’m Wearing”.
Advocacy for younger models
In July 2018, Rocha opened the Coco Rocha Model Camp in a renovated 8,000 square foot property that can house about a dozen model students at a time. The program is attended in four-day sessions, instructing students on the modeling industry, and Rocha has also taught the program at Harvard University.
About eating disorders in the modeling industry
Coco Rocha is one of the few models who have spoken out against the prevalence of eating disorders in the modeling industry. In an open letter to The New York Times on her blog, she wrote, “How can any person justify an aesthetic that reduces a woman or child to an emaciated skeleton? Is it art? Surely fashion’s aesthetic should enhance and beautify the human form, not destroy it.”
Coco Rocha married artist James Conran on June 9, 2010. In October 2014, Rocha announced via her Facebook page, that they were expecting their first child, a girl, due in spring of 2015. Rocha gave birth to their daughter, Ioni James Conran, on March 28, 2015. In December 2017, Rocha announced that they were expecting their second child. She gave birth to son Iver Eames Conran, on April 20, 2018. In July 2020, Coco Rocha announced that they were expecting their third child, a girl, due in November 2020.
Rocha has been a devout Jehovah’s Witness since childhood, and she still participates with Jehovah’s Witnesses in their practice of preaching door-to-door. She calls herself “a Christian first and a model second”, and says that due to her faith she will not pose nude, with cigarettes, nationalistic emblems or religious icons
According to Australian Vogue, while healthy eating is important to staying in shape, Coco Rocha says it’s also about enjoying what you’re eating. “I love good food. I’m not someone who avoids it, or says, “I’ve already had Bolognese once this week I can’t have another”.