Ontario Government Launches New Local Food Fund: At a visit to Foodshare Toronto today, Premier Kathleen Wynne announced that applications are now open for a new Local Food Fund.
The fund is part of a $30 million dollar investment from the province to create jobs and support innovative local food projects over the next three years. This fund is also part of the government’s broader local food strategy to increase awareness and demand for foods grown and made in Ontario. It will support projects that:
- Market and promote local food
- Strengthen regional and local food networks by increasing partnerships along the supply chain
- Use new and innovative equipment and processes to boost the supply, quality, availability and distribution of local food
Supporting local food is part of the Ontario government’s plan to grow the economy, create jobs and help people with their everyday lives.
- Foodshare Toronto’s good food programs reach more than 155,000 children and adults per month.
- Ontario has invested more than $116 million to support local food since 2003.
- The agriculture and food sector, from farm to fork, contributes approximately $34 billion to the provincial economy and supports more than 740,000 jobs across Ontario.
Ministry of Agriculture and Food, September 16, 2013