What makes women look stylish? Here are some style hacks for stylish women to find that invisible line between elegance and vulgarity.
Audrey Hepburn – an icon of elegance and style of all times
Photo of Audrey Hepburn by Bud Fraker
Is “stylish” and “elegant” the same?
While the terms “stylish” and “elegant” are often used interchangeably, they do have slightly different meanings.
“Stylish” refers to a woman who is fashionable and up-to-date with the latest trends. A stylish woman may be described as someone who is fashionable and has a strong sense of personal style.
“Elegant,” on the other hand, refers to a woman who is refined and dignified in her appearance and manners. An elegant woman may be described as someone who carries themselves with poise and grace, and who has a sense of refinement in her clothing choices and overall appearance.
“Elegance is not about being noticed, it’s about being remembered.” – Giorgio Armani
“The essence of style is a simple way of saying something complex.” – Giorgio Armani
What is the difference between elegance and vulgarity?
“Individual style is the correct balance of knowing who you are, what works for you, and how to develop your own personality.” – Giorgio Armani
Which things catch your eye when you enter a fashion shop? Usually, it’s the thing which is spectacular in its simplicity. Why? Because it’s elegant. In addition to simplicity, elegance also means a good pattern, excellent cut, quality fabric, a small number of harmoniously distributed colors.
Elegance is often associated with poise, refinement, and grace, while vulgarity is often associated with coarseness, tastelessness, and lack of sophistication. However, these characteristics can vary greatly depending on cultural norms and personal preferences.
“Simplicity, good taste and grooming are the three fundamentals of good dressing and these do not cost money.” – Christian Dior
12 fashion hacks for stylish women
- Follow the “one vulgar thing at a time” rule: only one piece of clothing can catch the eye. Choose: either a short skirt or a deep neckline.
- Set aside time on Sunday to plan your wardrobe for the week. Try to develop your own stylish “uniform”, which you don’t have to think much about in the morning.
- Be well-groomed: To look elegant, be sure to keep your hair and nails clean and tidy. Never make your nails too long – it’s vulgar. A well-groomed woman, even in an ordinary black jacket, will look like a queen.
- Wear balanced makeup: if you emphasize your eyes, apply pale lipstick on your lips, if you want to make bright red lips, do not highlight your eyes too much.
- To be considerate is the essence of elegance. Dress appropriately for events; a sexy and provocative outfit at someone else’s wedding is a bad choice.
- Don’t wear too much perfume. Barely perceptible aromas are what you need.
- Paired accessories are very strong accents that can decorate simple clothes. Wear large ear rings or brightly colored shoes (but only one pair, not everything you have at once).
- Find out what’s right for you. If you are overweight, do not wear tight clothes, it is better to choose things that will successfully emphasize your seductive curves.
- Choose the right length. Most women go for a skirt with a length just below the knee, which makes any leg slim and the figure elegant. Also, elongated straight trousers covering the heel, jumpers with a V-neck, top and bottom of the same color are slimming.
- Never overdress with diamonds counterparts – jewelry made of rhinestones, glass and beads. The desire to look dressed up may make you funny, but not attractive. Simplicity is your best friend in this case.
- Remember, less is actually more: It is a mistake to assume that the brighter the colors and the more refined the hairstyle, the more irresistible you are. Healthy shiny hair and delicate make-up that emphasizes the dignity of your face – this is what will adorn any woman, especially those who have crossed a certain line.
- Choose open, sexy high heels. Good shoes will make any woman irresistible and desirable. And, on the contrary, rough closed shoes will add charm only to a teenager.
10 things that make a woman look stylish
- Confidence in her own style and appearance.
- Neat and well-groomed hair.
- Simple and classic clothing, free of any stains or wrinkles.
- Poise and grace in her movements and body language.
- A warm and genuine smile.
- Good posture and proper alignment of the head and shoulders.
- Elegant and understated jewelry and accessories.
- Well-manicured nails.
- Soft and subtle makeup that enhances natural beauty.
- A friendly and approachable demeanor.
“You can wear black at any time. You can wear it at any age. You may wear it for almost any occasion; a ‘little black frock’ is essential to a woman’s wardrobe.” – Christian Dior
What makes your outfit look NOT stylish
There are several factors that can contribute to an outfit looking cheap:
- Poor quality materials or construction: cheap fabrics or poorly made garments.
- Outdated or unfashionable styles: wearing styles that are no longer in fashion.
- Poor fit: clothing that is too loose or too tight.
- Excessive embellishments: too many frills, sequins, or other embellishments.
- Inappropriate for the occasion: wearing clothing that is too casual or too formal for the occasion.
- Poor grooming: neglecting to keep your clothes clean and well-maintained.
- Wearing low-quality or poorly made accessories: cheap-looking shoes, bags, or jewelry.
- Wearing too many trends at once: mixing too many trendy pieces.
- Wearing too much makeup or wearing makeup that is poorly applied.
- Clashing colors or patterns: pairing colors or patterns that do not complement each other.
“The detail is as important as the essential is. When it is inadequate, it destroys the whole outfit.” – Christian Dior
10 things that stylish women never do
- An elegant woman does not speak negatively about others or engage in gossip.
- She does not show off or try to draw unnecessary attention to herself.
- She does not let her emotions control her actions or words.
- She does not let her appearance be sloppy or unkempt.
- She does not use vulgar language or engage in inappropriate behavior.
- She does not make rude or offensive comments or jokes.
- She does not ignore good manners or basic etiquette.
- She does not brag or boast about her accomplishments.
- She does not let stress or anxiety control her actions.
- She does not let herself be defined by material possessions or societal expectations.
“It is not money that makes you well dressed: it is understanding.” – Christian Dior