Having a small room does not mean decorating it would make it cramped. In fact, there are sneaky decorating tricks that can make your room look spacious.
Are you wondering what those tricks are? Keep on reading to know:
1. Declutter and Pare Down
The first step to making a small room look spacious is to declutter. We are not just talking about removing the trash; we also meant removing furniture in your room that does not serve a purpose.
At Planet Maids House Cleaning NYC, we always tell our clients to pare down their belongings first. That way, they would know what they need to store and the amount of storage they need. After all, proper storage can help make a small room look spacious.
So, how can you declutter? Here are some decluttering methods you might want to try:
Four Boxes Method
This is a straightforward way to declutter a small space. What you need are four boxes of the same size:
- Put Away. These are items you need, want, and love.
- Give Away. These are items you are willing to let go of.
- Throw Away. These are items that do not serve their purpose.
- Undecided. These are items that you do not know what to do yet.
The mechanic is simple: Pick every item in your room, and place them in the appropriate box.
Made famous by Marie Kondo, this decluttering method instructs you only to keep things that spark joy for you. Moreover, you need to follow the proper order of decluttering:
- Komono (Kitchen, Bathroom, Garage, and Miscellaneous Items)
- Sentimental Items
Swedish Death Cleaning Method
In our opinion, the Swedish Death Cleaning Method is the most rigid declutter method there is.
The premise of this method is to prep your things as if you are dying. Think of it this way: You may have a box somewhere tucked away in your closet. Would you like your family and friends to discover that box when you are dead? If not, it is most likely that you do not want people to discover it now that you are still alive. So why not discard it?
2. Hang Mirrors
When you have a small room, the most affordable thing you can do is hang mirrors.
Many interior designers like to do this trick when decorating a small room. That’s because it bounces light in the space, making it spacious. Thus, consider hanging mirrors facing a window or a light source.
Ideally, you would want to hang a large mirror. But it can get expensive. An excellent workaround would be having a gallery wall of mirrors – the same effect but not as expensive.
3. Use Light Wall Colours
Consider painting your walls white if you have a small room. But if you find it boring, considering using light or pastel colours.
For one, it tricks the eyes that the room is spacious. That’s because dark paint colours give you the feeling that the walls are closing in.
But if your preferred paint colour has a dark hue (i.e., Delft Pottery Blue or Potter’s Shed HGSW from Lowe’s)?
Here are some tricks you ought to know:
- Have an Accent Wall. It creates an optical illusion that a room looks longer because a focal point catches your eyes.
- Pick a Paint With Satin or Eggshell Finish. Such paint finishes are slightly glossier, which reflects light. As a result, your room looks spacious.
- Paint Trims or Moldings With Something Lighter. Doing so can make a dark wall look further back. Use a semi-gloss paint finish for your trims and moldings for added light reflection.
- Choose the Right Undertone. Picking a colour for a small space can backfire due to some factors. To be safe, pick a colour with the right undertone. To do that, pick different shades of your preferred paint colour, and make sample swatches on a white wall. From there, choose the one you like.
4. Hang Floor-to-ceiling Curtains
If your room has a window, the type of curtain you choose and how you hang it can make a space large or cramped.
To make your room look spacious, opt for a long curtain. And ensure to hang them at least a foot above the window.
If you have a narrow window, extend your rod and hang your curtain to at least a foot from either side. This can make your window look expanded. Also, opt for curtains made of light fabric to give it an airy feeling.
5. Install Good Lighting
Lastly, you should install proper lighting if you want your room to look spacious.
When we say “proper lighting,” we mean lights that do not take up too much space. So, a massive chandelier is a no-no in a small room. Instead, opt for string lights, wall sconces, or pendant lights.
You should also think of the type of lights you want to install. Ideally, you want a LED light bulb as it is long-lasting. However, it can be too boring at night. Hence, find a lighting fixture that comes with at least light and warm tones.
Decorating a small room can be challenging. After all, you would want all your belongings in one space without making it look chaotic. You would also like your space to showcase your personality.
Luckily, the decorating tips listed above can help you make the most of a small space. This includes making it look warm, cozy, and not suffocating.